BILINGUALISM, YES OR NO?


At this point, I think it is quite evident that languages are a fundamental part of every person's learning, and even more evident is that English is always the leader in that learning. This is not at all surprising, since nowadays this language is as integrated in our daily life as technology is in society, and this integration increases with its use.

Personally, I started acquiring this language just when the Bilingual Education Program was at its peak in Spain, that is to say, basically when I entered school. Thus, the English language began to exert its influence on me at an early age, developing new brain functions, as it has been proved that there is an increase in grey matter, and therefore in neuronal density, in those who speak two languages. In other words, bilingualism would be what Michelangelo is to the Sistine Chapel, the sculptor of the brain. But, apart from metaphors, it is true that English accompanied me throughout my primary education, which in fact culminated with a language immersion trip to Bristol, UK. This experience was undoubtedly a great opportunity to explore the culture of a language I was learning, but of which I did not know its origin, history, place of speech nor most importantly, its native speakers. However, given the young age at which I undertook such an adventure, the impact of English life did not make as much of a dent as one might expect. Fortunately, Bristol was not the end of the road.

For a few years, my initial interest in studying English waned given the lack of encouragement one requires to learn, whatever the subject is. One cannot expect to assimilate something that is completely new and alien to them, if there is no reason or purpose within oneself for that assimilation. Despite this, my taste for English returned, and with more intensity, thanks to something that might come as a bolt from the blue: social networks. Yes, definitely, technology and online communication channels are very useful if you know how to take advantage of them. Instagram, TikTok, X, YouTube, all are full of people turning their language skills around in an enjoyable and didactic way. In particular, something that was of special interest to me were the clips (fragment of series and/or movies), which subtitled, made me realise how much is lost in dubbing. This had a relevant effect on my learning as it boosted my interest in reading my favourite novels in English, and it is well known that reading with pleasure and by one's own will, reinforces even more the linguistic acquisition than any grammar book.

The boom in my linguistic formation came with what was the best experience, for the moment, of my life. In August 2023, Oxford hosted me for three intense weeks in which my English skills progressed to upper levels. This was not only thanks to the daily classes that the experience counted on, but rather the opportunity to interact with international people, which undoubtedly forced to do so in English. Besides, immersing myself in the British environment allowed me to see the advantages of bilingualism, as I could see firsthand the difficulties encountered by those who were struggling with English.

Obviously, this will happen in any country we travel to, be it the UK, China or Equatorial Guinea. Bilingualism allows us to expand our horizons, intellectually, socially, culturally and personally. For my part, there is little more to add, and although there will always be those who reject bilingualism, could they reject its advantages?

By Estefanía Carrasco Gousseva 2ºBCT (B)


Comentarios

Entradas populares